Group of University Hospital of the Canary Islands (Tenerife)
null Group of University Hospital of the Canary Islands (Tenerife)
This is a Clinical-Assistance Group consisting of members of the Infection Section of the University Hospital of the Canary Islands, in La Laguna, Tenerife, and a faculty belonging to the Molecular Diagnosis Section of the Central Laboratory Service of this hospital, under the supervision of Dr Juan Luis Gómez Sirvent.
The group has been associated with Spanish AIDS research Network (RIS) since its inception in 2003 and participates in epidemiologically-based studies and clinical studies in collaboration with other research groups, both in the RIS and beyond. It has also collaborated by collecting and sending clinical data and biological samples in basic research studies related to HIV infection:
Our main lines of interest are:
- Epidemiological studies about the clinical, demographic and social characteristics, and their evolution over time, of patients with HIV infection in our environment.
- Studies about the incidence, characteristics and temporal evolution of comorbidities associated with HIV.
- Study of tolerance and toxicity of antiretroviral drugs in patients with HIV.
- Studies about the prevalence and clinical consequences of HIV resistance mutations to antiretroviral drugs.
- Clinical trials on the efficacy and safety of new antiretroviral drugs or new combinations of antiretroviral drugs in HIV patients.
- Clinical trials on the efficacy and safety of Direct Action Anti-Viral drugs in patients with HIV-HCV coinfection.
- Studies on the detection, related pathology and their evolution over time of HPV (Human Papillomavirus) infection in HIV patients.